We’ve learnt a lot of cool recipes while working at the Healthy Rabbit cafe. One of the most surprising ones to me was almond milk – really tasty vegan milk substitute that is so easy to make!
I’m tempted to make this at home..
Many recipes are similar, and I’m looking at this one (this isn’t the specific one the Healthy Rabbit uses – don’t want to give away their secrets!)
The steps are:
- Soak 1 cup of almonds in water overnight (in the fridge)
- Drain and rinse almonds
- Put almonds into a blender and add 4 cups of water (the amount of water defines how thin you want the milk)
- Blend (a lot, 2 minutes on high)
- Pour through a cheesecloth/similar bag which catches the almond “meal” (the bits that didn’t blend)- I wonder if there’s a way you could make this hands free? Coffee filter paper?
- Add water if desired to change consistency (you’d want a different consistency of milk in a smoothie vs on cereal for example)
It’s super tasty, super healthy and super easy – how good is that! You can also use the almond meal for other recipes (mostly baking).
When we’re home we may not use a whole cup of almonds as that makes about a litre of milk. It doesn’t last more than a couple of days (no preservatives) but maybe half the recipe every other day might work for teas, coffees and the occasional bowl of cereal!